Published on August 26, 1997
Fitness classes and gyms
- African/Caribbean Dance and Movement. Open to men and women.
Ideal for those overweight and over 40. $7 per class. Saturdays,
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. At Dimond Recreation Center, 3860 Hanly
Road, Oakland. 482-7831.
- Big Moves. Dancing, strengthening and stretching to music
in chairs or standing. Correct pace and movements for larger bodies.
Class 11 a.m. to noon every Saturday at World Gym in San Francisco,
260 DeHaro St. Gym membership not required. First class is free.
- Fat Chance Belly Dance. Classes in three San Francisco and
Berkeley studios accommodate people of any size, primarily women.
$7 per drop-in class. In San Francisco: 1021 Sanchez and 1519
Mission streets. In Berkeley: 729 Heinz Ave. Suite 4. Call 1-415-647-6035
for a schedule.
- Major Moves. Class focuses on connecting with the body through
movement and relaxation. For women only. Free class 6 to 7 p.m.
Sept. 9. A 12-week session, Tuesdays starting Sept. 16, is $75.
New students can join at any time, however. At the Oakland Masonic
Temple, 3309 Broadway. Call 841-8822.
- Making Waves. Recreational swimming for women 200 pounds and
over. Sundays, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Albany High School Pool,
1311 Portland Ave. Cost is on a sliding-scale basis, $6 to $8.
- Women of Substance Health Spa, 363-C Main St., Redwood City.
Offers classes including yoga, tai chi, step aerobics, country
line dancing aerobics, aqua aerobics. Swimming pool, hot tub,
cardiovascular equipment, resistance machines, massage therapy.
For people of all ages, sizes and fitness levels. 1-650-369-6626.
- "Big Fat Lies," (Fawcett, $23). 1-800-733-3000.
- "The Bodywise Woman," (Human Kinetics Press, $16.95).
- "Great Shape: The First Fitness Guide for Large Women,"
(Bull Publishing, $14.95). 1-800-676-2855.
- "Chair Dancing," a series of three videos, shows
strengthening exercises that can be carried out in a chair, (Chair
Dancing International Inc., $14.95 to $19.95 each plus shipping
and California taxes). 1-800-551-4386.
- "Yoga for Round Bodies," two-volume set, (Plus
Publications, $29.95 per set, plus shipping). 1-800-793-0666.
Size acceptance resources
- "Bodytrust," a video on healthy lifestyle regardless
of size. ($24.95 plus shipping). 1-800-321-9499.
- "FAT!SO?" A magazine for people who don't apologize
for their size. Four issues for $12. 1-800-643-2876. Web site
- Fat and Terrific. Concord group publishes a newsletter, organizes
- Radiance: The Magazine for Large Women. Oakland quarterly
promotes healthy lifestyle and positive self-esteem for large
women. $20 annually. 482-0680. Web site is www.radiancemagazine.com.
-- Julie Sevrens
Edition: CCT, Section: E, Page: 1
© 1997 Contra Costa Newspapers Inc.